Purpose: World Relief matches volunteers with specific, newly-arrived refugee families in order to aid them in their adjustment to life in the US.
- Visit a refugee family 3-4 times per month (minimum 6 month commitment)
- Build friendship through visits with refugee family in their home
- Practice English conversation
- Share practical advice about life in a Western society
- Explore the local community with refugee family
- Help familiarize refugees with American culture and customs
- Communicate consistently with Companion Coordinator about refugee needs
- Sensitivity to persons of culturally diverse backgrounds
- High degree of patience, understanding, and flexibility
- Attend “Volunteer Orientation” prior to starting service
- Attend “Cultural Companion Orientation” within 3 months of starting service
- Record and report monthly volunteer hours served, as detailed in the Volunteer Orientation
- Pass Federal Background Check; and if transporting, driving record check
- No previous cross-cultural experience required!
Interested in becoming a cultural companion? The first step is to fill out a volunteer application. We will review the application and then send you an access code to RSVP to a volunteer training. Email Robbie at RAdams@wr.org or call the office at 253-277-1121 x261 if you have any questions.
All volunteers are required to attend a volunteer training, complete an application, and undergo a background checks before starting. At the training you will learn about World Relief's work, the refugees and immigrants we serve, and what it looks like to come alongside them as volunteers in different roles