World Relief is an international Christian relief and development organization whose US arm represents one of the largest refugee and immigrant-serving ministries in the Unites States with offices in 25 US cities. The Seattle office is one of the largest, with a variety of holistic programs serving newly-arrived refugees and immigrants.
- Oversee and coordinate the Good Neighbor Team (GNT) program (team-based refugee resettlement) and individual or family long-term relational volunteers in support of World Relief’s local ministry.
- Work closely with the Volunteer Coordinator and Outreach Manager to train, supervise and support Good Neighbor Team and Cultural Companion (long-term relational) volunteers.
- Build partnerships with local area churches for Good Neighbor Team ministry partnerships.
- Communicate with casework, housing, employment and ESL staff to gather information and needs of newly arrived refugees to ensure GNT’s are guiding families through all necessary steps of their resettlement.
- Match refugee families with new Good Neighbor Teams at the airport and conduct a 24 hour site visit.
- Maintain regular contact with ongoing GNT team leaders prior to a refugee family’s arrival and ensure appropriate contact is happening between the team leader and caseworker after arrival.
- Operate as a cultural broker between volunteers and refugees, referring them to internal or external resources and services, as appropriate.
- Provide volunteer appreciation, recognition along with a 30 day and 6 month check-in with the entire GNT.
- Maintain up-to-date records of volunteer information, hours and activities, reporting to Volunteer Coordinator monthly; enter data regularly into database.
- Assist Volunteer Coordinator, Cultural Companion Coordinator and other outreach team members with general volunteer orientations and program activities as able and as needed.
Requirements and Preferred Qualifications
- A desire to serve Jesus Christ in ministering to refugees and volunteers.
- Volunteer management experience desirable.
- Experience working or volunteering with refugee populations a plus.
- 1-2 years experience working or volunteering in a social service or ministry setting required.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and sensitively with people of diverse cultural and religious backgrounds.
- Good organizational skills and ability to work independently and efficiently.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Knowledge of a second language a plus.
- Strong computer knowledge, including MS Office and the ability to learn new programs.
- Flexibility in schedule required (meetings with volunteers often fall outside normal business hours).
- Current driver’s license and access to a vehicle required.
- Location: Kent, WA
- 40 hours/week, ongoing
- Expected start date: mid-to-late January 2017
- To apply, please visit http://www.worldrelief.org/careers *Note this position may still pending, please check back in a few days if it does not show up on the job application board.