Purpose: World Relief matches recently released detainees from the Northwest Immigration Detention Center with local Host Homes that can assist these individuals in learning English, adjusting to American culture, and preparing them for self-sufficiency while they are waiting to transition to their new homes. Learn more about all our Immigration Detention Center Ministry Here
- Host new refugee families in your home for 1 - 3 days immediately following their release from the Northwest Immigration Detention Center in Tacoma.
- Provide meals for the individual and help them cook for themselves alongside your family while staying with you.
- Begin basic cultural orientation in your home.
- Communicate consistently with Volunteer Coordinator about their needs.
- Continue Cultural Orientation through short outings such as: grocery store(s), bus rides, post office, library, thrift store, downtown or neighborhood sight-seeing and/or parks.
- Transportation from the Tacoma Detention Center to your home.
- Transportation from your home to SeaTac Airport where they will fly to their permanent destination.
- Willingness to share your home with people of other cultures and languages
- Passing Federal Background Check
- If transporting: Washington State driver’s license, driving record check, and insured vehicle
The first step to volunteering is to visit our Events page to find out when and where the next volunteer training will be and RSVP to attend. At the training you will learn about World Relief's work, the refugees and immigrants we serve, and what it looks like to come alongside them as volunteers in different roles. After attending the training, all volunteers must complete an application and background checks before starting.