Hillside Church and World Relief are thankful for your interest in volunteering for the Refugee Women’s Sewing Class. We just completed our first session. It was a rewarding experience for all of us and we certainly learned a lot in the process! The next session will begin on Tuesday May 2 and will run Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, 9:30-11:30am for 6 weeks.
Watch this video of our class in action here.
We need volunteers for both the sewing class and the child care. Each class will begin with 30 minutes of English lessons where sewing vocabulary, skills and techniques are introduced and reviewed. This time will allow for one on one interaction with volunteers and students.
In order to ensure the success of the sewing class we are asking that our volunteers are able to do the following:
- Thread a sewing machine
- Wind a bobbin
- Adjust sewing machine tension
- Be able to troubleshoot machine malfunction. For example, if the thread is balled up on the underneath side of the fabric, what is the most likely issue and then know how to resolve the problem.
- Change a needle on the sewing machine
- Have fundamental sewing skills
- Sew a zipper
- Use a rotary cutter and ruler
- Feels comfortable engaging with participants who do not speak English
- Are sensitive to cultural differences especially in regards to touching, and personal space.
- Be actively involved with the participants in class, engaging with them and encouraging them to learn the provided curriculum as well as increasing their knowledge of the English language.
- Be willing to help the participants follow the instructor’s directions even if it is different than your usual method. Consistency throughout the classroom will help to avoid confusion amongst the participants.
- Each volunteer is required to attend the volunteer training class on Wednesday April 26th. 9:00am-11:00am in the sewing room at Hillside Church. This class is mandatory even if you volunteered in the first sewing session.
Interested in volunteering with the class? Email Robbie at RAdams@wr.org or call the office at 253-277-1121 x261
All volunteers are required to attend a volunteer training, complete an application, and undergo a background checks before starting. At the training you will learn about World Relief's work, the refugees and immigrants we serve, and what it looks like to come alongside them as volunteers in different roles.